Ventura Land Trust (VLT) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit accredited land trust in Ventura, CA working to protect the land, water, wildlife, and scenic beauty of the Ventura region for current and future generations. The organization strives to create a fun, inspiring and team-oriented environment with flexible work hours.
An Educator is responsible for parent communication, daily lesson planning, and facilitation with consideration for the programs overall goals while meeting the needs of the individual group. This position will primarily work within our Forest Preschool Programs (age 3 - 5 years old), but will also include work with other age groups.
Educators are committed to working closely as a team, modeling and facilitating responsible choices, inspirational experiences, compassionate communication, and critical thinking and problem solving. Educators report directly to the Education Manager.
- Lead the team in maintaining group safety and the facilitation of emergency protocols
- Develop daily lesson plans in line with the program’s overall goals
- Keep the calendar up to date with program locations
- Lead pre-season prep meetings and post-season debriefs
- Lead the daily pre-program check ins and post-program debriefs
- Support your team in facilitating daily lesson plans
- Carry, maintain, and restock first aid kits and bathroom kits
- Maintain healthy parent communication, including Story of the Day and location changes, and direct concerns to the Education Coordinator and/or Education Manager
- Keep up to date participant contact and medical information on hand
- Communicate medical alerts to your team and maintain awareness throughout program
- Promptly fill out accident/incident reports and communicate to parents regarding any emotional and/or physical injuries or concerns that occurred during program
- Create and add photos to album with consideration of media release
- Attend biweekly All Staff meetings, monthly Lead Staff meetings, monthly Forest Preschool Staff meetings, and seasonal staff trainings
- Review emails from your team(s) and Education Coordinator and Manager. Responding when a reply is requested.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions for up to 8 hours with breaks
- Ability to walk over uneven surfaces, work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds on occasion
- Current adult and child CPR and First Aid certification
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Reliable cell phone and computer with internet access
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Education, Early Childhood credentials, or equivalent experience
- Experience facilitating groups of children in the outdoors
- Knowledge and/or basic understanding of local flora and fauna
Hours vary 15-30 hours per week. Pay range $18-$23/hour. Educator qualifies as a part-time hourly/non-exempt employee and is eligible for 10 days paid sick time, 5 days bereavement, and 5 days jury duty time per year.
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Educator Position Application.”