Ventura Wild Educator
Ventura Land Trust (VLT) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit accredited land trust in Ventura, CA working to protect the land, water, wildlife, and scenic beauty of the Ventura region for current and future generations. The organization strives to create a fun, inspiring and team-oriented working environment. Ventura Wild rekindles a deep sense of belonging and connection to wild places by nurturing awareness, knowledge, skills and stewardship in the natural world for youth. All of our programs hold a small mentor to child ratio of 4:1. Working primarily in teams of three with twelve students, we visit preserves, local trails, swimming holes and other wild locations in Ojai and Ventura. We play games and practice skills and wildcrafts, all while exploring and building a relationship with our environment. The lands we visit are the traditional and ancestral homeland of the Chumash People.
This part-time position is best suited for those who feel passionate about our environment and have experience mentoring children ages 2 - 15. You will support the program in creating a safe and engaging atmosphere for our youth to grow in their awareness and confidence in the outdoors.
- Support the team in maintaining group safety and the facilitation of emergency protocols
- Support the team in facilitating daily lesson plans
- Carry, maintain, and restock first aid kits
- Carry, maintain, and restock bathroom kits
- Prompt reporting to lead staff and/or senior educators of any emotional and/or physical injuries or concerns that occurred during program
- Add photos to album with consideration for media release
- Participate in pre-season meetings, daily pre-program check ins and end of program debriefs
- Attend biweekly All Staff meetings and staff trainings when applicable
- Current basic First Aid/CPR
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Reliable cell phone and computer with internet access
- Ability to attend mandatory seasonal and pre-planned staff meetings
- Ability to arrive at each program 30 minutes before the start to check-in with co-leaders and stay 30 minutes after to debrief
- Must be able to attend the staff training on September 3-4, 2022
Complete an application at https://www.venturawild.com/joinourteam/
Hourly compensation starting range $15-$23, depending on position filled and commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Budgeted hours are 10-25 hours per week. Ventura Wild Educator qualifies as a part-time hourly/non-exempt employee and is eligible for paid sick time.